[LRUG] Netbooks and Rails development

Richard Patching richard at edendevelopment.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 05:29:42 PST 2009

I installed Fedora 10 on the netbook last week and very much glad I
did so. I got a bit tired of working around all of the quirks with
Linpus. I had a few issues getting Git working due to some compile
issues with Perl. With Fedora 10 I had Ruby, Rails, RubyGems and Git
installed within 10 minutes. The only slight annoyance (due to time)
was the 247 security updates required. This took around 4 hours to
install.

I have a screenshot of Fedora 10 working on my netbook http://twitpic.com/1heaq
  its worth noting that I used the Fedora 10 XFCE spin in the end. I
had created my own, but it was far more bloated. I might work on this
in the future if people are interested and create an ISO especially
for the Netbook.

I use Gedit for my project files, which works well. All-in-all I would
certainly suggest you move over to Fedora 10, I haven't regretted it
in the slightest. My battery life is around 2:30 which is very
reasonably, there are a few more tweaks I could make (cutting down the
services etc).

Hope this is helpful!

Richard Patching