[LRUG] Ruby Contracting

Vahagn Hayrapetyan vahagnh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 07:36:39 PST 2009

My impression is that the agencies advertising at CWjobs are currently
looking for folks for 2+ years' experience in Rails. Too bad if one is a
fresh-faced software idealist, young and full of dreams, who has only joined
the Rails bandwagon about a year ago or so.

It's funny because I think most of the recruiters themselves don't have clue
about how long it takes for someone who was previously pro to become
reasonably fluent in a new framework. Next time, I think I'll try
introducing myself as : "Hello, my name is Vahagn and I have been a member
of Rails core between 1998 and 2000; before that, I was developing highly
dynamic web applications using Algol. My salary range is 50-70 GBP pa".

Just to see what the reaction would be! :-D

/ Vahagn

PS. Good luck.