[LRUG] Netbooks and Rails development

Richard Patching richard at edendevelopment.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 01:25:53 PST 2009

I don't think that there is anything wrong with the Aspire One. Its
more an issue with Linpus, its based on Fedora 8 which is 2 years old
now. The repo is out of date and adding new software can be
problematic at best. Switching to Fedora 10 is a worth while move in
my opinion, and really allows you to get the best out of the Aspire
One. Having made the move myself, I now have a really good lightweight
development platform for Ruby development. The boot time is around 25
seconds, which is certainly acceptable, so I have no real issues with
performance. If you want a small, lightweight development platform for
Ruby (with Rails as well) then I would definately suggest investing in
an Aspire One.