[LRUG] TDD (was: Ruby Contracting)

Chris Parsons chris at edendevelopment.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 02:42:41 PST 2009

On 19 Feb 2009, at 10:22, Tom Stuart wrote:

> Without taking sides, what surprises me is how few people say
> anything about just how hard it is to write useful, robust,
> intelligible, non-brittle tests (especially for e.g. Rails
> applications) and how much time it takes to create and maintain
> them. Common wisdom is that this investment of time and effort more
> than pays off in quality and stability but, well, is that appealing
> idea necessarily always true? Is there really nobody in the world
> who actually wastes time writing tests?

I've wasted many hours writing tests for features for which the
investment just wasn't justified, and kicked myself for not writing
tests for things that really needed them. It's all part of the
learning curve. Test where the risk is[1], and read blogs by people
like Jay Fields and Pat Maddox - they have some very interesting
discussion on testing techniques.

I think the biggest mistake people make is thinking that starting to
write tests is going to yield a huge instant payoff with no effort.
There is a small instant payoff, a lot more learning, and a real
danger of overconfidence.

We need to write about testing on our blog more. It's not easy at all,
but if you're disciplined about it does work for in your favour[2].

Oh, and there are no sides here ... this is positive open-minded
debate, right? :)

Chris

[1] Someone famous said this; no idea who.
[2] Well, not when we're doing stuff for fun which doesn't matter much
(http://ykyat.com :)

--
Chris Parsons
Managing Director

chris at edendevelopment.co.uk
www.edendevelopment.co.uk

0845 0097 094
po box 425, winchester, so23 0wy, uk
Map: http://pininthemap.com/edendevelopment

Tried Pin in the Map? Mark a map location, add text, send to friends.
http://pininthemap.com

This electronic message and all contents contain information from the
sender which may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected
from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the
addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee, any copying,
disclosure, distribution or use of the contents of this message is
prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error,
please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy the original
message and all copies. The sender does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions.