[LRUG] TDD (was: Ruby Contracting)

Chris Parsons chris at edendevelopment.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 02:16:02 PST 2009

Hi Ellie,

On 19 Feb 2009, at 01:45, Eleanor McHugh <eleanor at games-with-
brains.com> wrote:

> The [T|B]DD fad has to run its course. Perhaps when more developers
> find themselves working with the exacting non-functional
> requirements we're used to tackling they'll realise the short-
> comings of relying on automated testing but by then they'll already
> have moved beyond the "gee whizz we could build a social website"
> shallows into deeper, darker waters.

Can you give some examples? We use BDD in anger on pretty advanced/
complex business applications. Sure, if you are overreliant on your
tests, you are in a lot of trouble. Writing good tests is harder than
most people think, and there's no substitute for manual tests.

IME this is usually how it goes:

1) Programmer writes no tests, feels stressed.
2) Programmer discovers TDD, feels euphoric.
3) Programmer relies on tests, ships product early, feels overconfident.
4) Customer breaks product, phones programmer at 4am, feels irritated.
5) Programmer realises tests are hard to write, feels let down.
6) Programmer learns about multiple levels of testing, feels
enlightened.
7) Programmer doesn't skip important manual tests, uses testing as a
tool not a crutch, ships product, feels confident.
8) Customer relies on product, feels satisfied.

Thanks
Chris

--
Chris Parsons
Managing Director

chris at edendevelopment.co.uk
www.edendevelopment.co.uk

0845 0097 094
po box 425, winchester, so23 0wy, uk
Map: http://pininthemap.com/edendevelopment

Tried Pin in the Map? Mark a map location, add text, send to friends.
http://pininthemap.com

This electronic message and all contents contain information from the
sender which may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected
from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the
addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee, any copying,
disclosure, distribution or use of the contents of this message is
prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error,
please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy the original
message and all copies. The sender does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions.