[LRUG] TDD (was: Ruby Contracting)

Stephen Bartholomew steve at curve21.com
Thu Feb 19 08:13:07 PST 2009

I feel like I've killed the productivity of half the mailing list - sorry
:0S
To my mind, this is all about the right tool for the job.  TDD is serving
our little very well when we're creating our weakling web-based
applications.  How it maps to a complex magical flying widget system, I
can't say.

My real problem with original assertions (excuse the pun) is that they were
so dismissive.  To blanket apply a statement like that across the broad
spectrum of development is just plain wrong.  As James said, you could say
the same of *any* code/design/development pattern.  Just because you feel it
works in your case, doesn't mean it deserves that kind of negativity.

It's very true that TDD done wrong can be detrimental to a development
process.  But firstly, that goes for *any* process and secondly, we're all
striving for constant improvement - so it will get better over time.

I wholeheartedly agree that being dogmatic about any process is fraught with
danger - I'm uncomfortable with anyone who feels *that* confident in
something - especially when it makes them resistant to criticism and other
ideas.  However, the same applies the other way.  Strong cynicism without
the appreciation that you might either be wrong or working in an environment
quite different to others (note: not 'better' or 'more intelligent') is
equally flawed.

On a positive note, I think it's been good to discuss all this.  I would be
interested in hearing more about other forms of testing, but in a
happy-clappy way rather than 'my mum tests better than your mum'.

We all come from such different backgrounds and the cross-pollination is
often a great thing.  More of that please.  If anyone has a great way of
approaching a problem, don't complain about how idiotic the masses are for
not using it, share it!

Now - back to work!

Steve