[LRUG] London Rails Conference, speakers

Matthew Rudy Jacobs matthewrudyjacobs at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 09:32:02 PST 2009

2009/2/21 Vahagn Hayrapetyan <vahagnh at gmail.com>:
> Excuse me! What I meant was Ruby GC, ie the Ruby garbage collector. A slip
> of the keyboard...
>
> The reason why I think it would be an interesting topic is because I've
> overheard Michael Koziarski at JAOO 2008 talk about how the current GC
> implementation was old and slow. So, it got me wondering if there are ways
> to program / develop around this or maybe something was in the works to
> replace the old one.

Take a look at Ruby Enterprise Edition.
They reworking the garbage collector,
and it seemed to make a lot of difference to memory consumption.

It also sounded like Phusion (who make Ruby Enterprise) were going to
contribute their changes back into Rails 1.9

But,
I think this is all leading us onto what should be the hot topic right now.

"Migration to Ruby 1.9"

It feels like its going to happen soon.

If I'm around in July,
I'd probably want to talk about Queueing and offline Processing.

Also
why not read through the whole history of
http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-manor

Thousands of posts discussing what topics were important to the world of ruby.