[LRUG] The August Meeting

Taryn East teast at globalpersonals.co.uk
Thu Jul 16 06:51:29 PDT 2009

Hi Murray,
didn't you say we were trying to find something to fill up the time? ;)

seriously, though. I'm of the opinion that this would only really work at
the begining of the night - everyone's fresh and fired-up and wants to chat
about what they've seen recently.
It's also a good way to fire people up if they're a bit zonked after a day
of hard slog.

Yes, it does mean you need to be strict about the time - cut people off* if
they're taking too long and cut everyone off when the 15min are done - thus
it becomes a bit like a stand-up meeting... everyone knows time is limited
and goes fast (or learns fast...) ;)

As to people missing out... yes of course (and I'm probably one of the ones
that will miss the beginning frequently due to distance). But in one way
that is actually a benefit... this is something that's not a scheduled talk
that can go at the front that people won't be as upset about missing out on.
It's also a good way to fill in the empty space at the beginning while
speakers are setting up.

My vote is for it at the beginning. ;)

Cheers,
Taryn

* with the message that this discussion can be moved "off-line" to the bar
afterwards, of course... or even suggested as a talk for a future meeting.