[LRUG] Looking at the July LRUG (and also THE FUTURE (well, August anyway))

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Fri Jun 12 04:30:45 PDT 2009

On 10 Jun 2009, at 17:38, James Adam wrote:

>> I very much like the sound of that :-) +1
>
> I too think it's a great idea, but is it something we can actually put
> on? Do we have members with enough experience in other languages to
> present? If so, make yourselves known, along with the traitorous
> language that you could/would talk about, and we can probably make a
> reasonable night of it.

I could do this with C# / .NET I guess, I've been meaning to sum up my
experiences since leaving that fold for some time.

> In general, I think it would be great to try and do something
> different. I would definitely be interested in a coding dojo, but
> probably don't know quite enough about them to run one successfully.
> I'll wrack my brains for other ideas too

I'm happy to organise a dojo if that's something people would be up
for. I know there's been some concern about making it work with the
large numbers we get at LRUG, but I think we could make it work. My
plan would be to introduce the problem (and the randoori rules) to the
whole room, them split into groups to solve the same problem in
parallel randoori iterations. Finally we'd get everyone back together
at the end to review and discuss each other's solutions.

We could do some stray poll of skill level to make sure each group got
a good balance of ninjas and newbies.

What do you think?

Matt Wynne
http://blog.mattwynne.net