[LRUG] Linked Data & Ruby

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 08:33:23 PDT 2009

2009/6/30 Anthony Green <Anthony.Green at bbc.co.uk>

> > If libraries for consuming and producing RDF are hard to find, then
> > the 'problem' probably lies in RDF, not any one language.
>
> I got a similar kind of answer/attitude when I asked the Zend Community why
> ZF didn't adopt a more documentation/resources to achieving a RESTful
> approach to Domain Modelling within said framework.
>
>  :/
>
> If RDF is a solution in search of a problem it's understandable that
> there's
> not been much adoption with the Ruby community. My original post was an
> attempt to illicit though on whether this was the case or whether it was
> something we should be paying more attention too.

Part of the problem might be, taking your example of comparing RESTful to
RDF/linked data approaches, who it is that embracing the approach benefits.
It greatly benefits me to use RESTful design principles as it makes my
application easier to understand and develop.  Using RDF/linked data to
publish my data doesn't have any (immediate) benefit to me in the
development of my application, it only really benefits some nebulous "other"
that might make some application on top of my data later.  Admittedly this
other application might provide good feedback on functionality / bugs / &c
in the future, but that's a long shot (especially at the moment with the low
uptake of RDF / linked data applications).

Is it something we should care about? Probably.

By ignoring it are we creating a "I'm not doing linked data because no-one
else is?" vicious circle? Clearly.

But... is it something that's very easy to let fall by the wayside when
other pressures/new shiny things rear their heads? Most definitely.

All that said, I don't think it's anything to do with Ruby being left
behind.  I see this as the state of semantic web development regardless of
language.  People just don't, for better or worse, seem to have much of a
lust for it.

Muz