[LRUG] Looking at the July LRUG (and also THE FUTURE (well, August anyway))

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 06:49:01 PDT 2009

Hey all,

The July LRUG meeting has been placeholderised on Upcoming at:
http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/2884083/ (I'll get the lrug.org page and the
skills matter registration link out soon).

Important things to note:

1. It's on a Wednesday - 8th July.
    This doesn't mean all future LRUG's will be on a Wednesday; that's
dependent on the results of the survey (http://is.gd/SU53) and the turnout
(compared to last year / last month) of this meeting.  However, it's looking
pretty likely that we'll be switching to a Wednesday schedule so consider
this a trial run.

2. It's in a new venue - The Crypt (http://www.cryptonthegreen.com/).
    It's still on Clerkenwell Green and close to our chosen watering hole -
The Crown Tavern but has the advantage of being much cheaper than The Old
Sessions House (and also a bit bigger which is good for future growth).  We
still need sponsors to be able to afford it, but anyone that sponsors isn't
going to be asked for so much money, which is good.

Also, we've got 2 speakers lined up:

Tom Stuart - abstract algebra and it's use in ruby and the pub
Tomasz Wegrzanowski - ruby + arduino (probably based on these 2 blog posts:
http://t-a-w.blogspot.com/2009/04/arduino-and-wii-nunchuck-to-control.html,
http://t-a-w.blogspot.com/2009/04/arduino-microcontroller-and-ruby-to.html )

However as we're still on the three 25 minute slots format we still need one
other speaker.  Has anyone got something they'd like to talk about, or has
anyone got anything they'd like to hear spoken about (we might be able to
find someone to cover that topic).

That's July covered.  Let's talk about August.

I was wondering if people want to do something different?  It's relatively
simple to chase up a few folk to give talks, but I thought we could try
something else.  One possible idea is to run a Dojo.  There was talk earlier
in the year about running one of these, and I've heard good things from the
folk that have been to the Coding Dojo's that Skills Matter have been
hosting.  Does anyone fancy that for the August meeting?  (Also, does anyone
have the experience to be able to run this kind of thing properly, would it
work with a group this large?)

Of course, that's just one idea and there are other things we can try: a
discussion panel, a different type of practical style evening, lightning
talks, um ... other stuff?

Cheers,

Muz