[LRUG] Looking at the July LRUG (and also THE FUTURE (well, August anyway))

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 05:20:02 PDT 2009

2009/6/12 Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net>

>  In general, I think it would be great to try and do something
>> different. I would definitely be interested in a coding dojo, but
>> probably don't know quite enough about them to run one successfully.
>> I'll wrack my brains for other ideas too
>>

> I'm happy to organise a dojo if that's something people would be up for. I
> know there's been some concern about making it work with the large numbers
> we get at LRUG, but I think we could make it work. My plan would be to
> introduce the problem (and the randoori rules) to the whole room, them split
> into groups to solve the same problem in parallel randoori iterations.
> Finally we'd get everyone back together at the end to review and discuss
> each other's solutions.
>
> We could do some stray poll of skill level to make sure each group got a
> good balance of ninjas and newbies.
>
> What do you think?

That sounds good to me.  Unless loads of folk are dead-set against this I'll
pencil it in for the August meeting.  That should give us plenty of time to
work out a problem and organise the mix of skills.  The meeting will be on
the 10th if it's a Monday or the 12th if it's a Wednesday (which is most
likely).

Matt, would we need more than one person to guide the groups?  Do we need
one per group, or would two or three folk floating about making sure each
group is getting along, or just one person to introduce the evening and let
the groups get on with it?  The latter is what we did when Tom Armitage ran
some Kata's which worked well, but there are less "rules" for a kata.

Muz