[LRUG] Software Craftsmanship

James Adam james at lazyatom.com
Mon May 11 23:16:57 PDT 2009

While this is a lovely conversation, I'm not sure what the point is.

Firstly, who has disagreed with the notion of "Software
Craftsmanship", and what are their actual objections?

Secondly, why is it even meaningful to discuss whether or not it
exists? Anything can be a craft, or a mechanical chore. Painting can
be the result of a tortured artist pouring their heart out onto a
canvas, or paint-by-numbers. The results may not be easy to discern
from each other, and equally effective both as functional artifacts
and acts of expression.

Everything is a craft, and everything is work. Whether or not you
consider yourself to be a craftsperson, an artist, an engineer, a
scientist, or a romantic is largely meaningless to anyone except
yourself.

I'm not sure to whom the existence of "craftsmanship" in programming
is relevant.

It's unlikely to be the consumer of our work, because they only really
care that it does the job it should; let's never forget that the
majority of us are in the business of building tools that perform
specific, reasonably-clearly-defined functions, which is unlike most
art, whose purpose is rarely even defined.

IMHO, it's meaningless to talk about software craftsmanship as if
there's some struggle to attribute that label. I see no army of
thought-police looming to smash our beautiful abstractions and elegant
algorithms, and nor do I see the populous clamoring to admire our
refactorings and marvel at the poignancy of a particular subroutine.

There is beauty in programming, and that's hard to see for some
people, but there is beauty in modern art that others struggle to
fathom; art in the building of bridges; elegance in the mechanism of a
drug; ... you get the idea. It's not like things are either
engineering or a craft, but never both. I don't understand why some
people feel that their creativity is under threat. Please elucidate me!