[LRUG] Software Craftsmanship

Eleanor McHugh eleanor at games-with-brains.com
Mon May 11 05:39:12 PDT 2009

On 11 May 2009, at 10:54, Anthony Green wrote:
> I've been humph *frustrated*  in arguments recently with colleagues
> as to
> whether  the notion of Software Craftsmanship is real or a fictional
> construct.
>
> Originally schooling as artist I've found affinity with the ideas,
> thoughts,
> philosophies espoused in books like 'Hackers and Painters',
> 'Refactor Your
> WetWetware'
>
> Thoughts ?

I prefer to view software as art, craft, and a frustrating amount of
hard work (frustrating because the hard work normally involves
unlearning preconceptions about a given problem domain). People who
come up through a traditional CS background seem to feel otherwise,
but I try not to hold that against them ;)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net