[LRUG] Paths to open source contributions

Roland Swingler roland.swingler at gmail.com
Thu May 7 07:23:27 PDT 2009

Hi,

My OSS contributions have been paltry, rather than impressive, so take
what I say with a pinch of salt. I've been motivated a little by all
of the things you suggest - some were driven by trying to get a better
feel for a project or type of project (jRuby for example - which sort
of fits with your option 3), others were motivated by needing to fix a
problem in an existing library or finding that something you've built
might be useful to others (options 1 & 2). What I haven't done (yet)
is set out from the beginning to "create an open source project to do
X": for me it seems a little more unplanned than that.

Cheers,
Roland