[LRUG] Software Craftsmanship

Vahagn Hayrapetyan vahagnh at gmail.com
Mon May 11 03:11:08 PDT 2009

If software craftsmanship is defined through adherence to non-functional
requirements, then it is real, measurable, and quantifiable. Proof by
construction: produce a badly tested, non-modular, insecure piece of
software. Deploy to mission-critical environment. At first signs of pressure
either from the customer(s) or the development team, it becomes apparent
that the software is "badly crafted".

Software craftsmanship is also described sometimes through "softer terms"
like aesthetics:

http://jaoo.dk/presentation/Aesthetic+programming+with+Ruby

A less quantifiable but equally important perspective, in my point of view.

Cheers,
Vahagn