[LRUG] Migrating SQLlite to MySQL

Tom Morris tom at tommorris.org
Mon Nov 16 08:00:17 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:14, Alexander Bienz <abienz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been managing a personal priject on the Rails 2 framework for a year or
> so, and I initially left the production Database as SQLlite, as I wanted to
> see how it would perform.
> I would now like to use a MySQL database, as is typical for most Rails
> webapps, but I want the changeover to be seamless, I don't want to lose any
> data or connections.
> Can anyone point me in the direction of the best practice for this kind of
> migration?

I did SQLite->Postgres on a production site recently, but I did take
it down for a few hours - late at night on a weekend (with plenty of
warning of planned downtime; most of the users are GMT and use the
site during work hours only). I can't remember how I did it, but it
did involve me getting very annoyed. Not at all seamless, sadly.

[insert standard 'you should use Postgres' rant here ;-) ]

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>