[LRUG] Googley Wavey Invitey

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 03:57:52 PST 2009

2009/11/26 Alex Young <alex at blackkettle.org>:
> James Adam wrote:
>>
>> On 26 Nov 2009, at 10:58, Chris Mear wrote:
>>>
>>> Trying to manage even, say, a to-do list would be like using a wiki
>>> page as your issue tracker -- you'd have to impose all the
>>> structure and operations by manual edits.
>>
>> This is very true. To get the most out of Wave, you need to impose
>> some of your own ideas about how each document should evolve, what is
>> appropriate in terms of its evolution, and what it not. It might be
>> fine in some cases to have long chat-like conversations, but not OK
>> in others.
>
> I think there's a case to be made that custom, single-use-type clients might
> work well. If you want to use it as a wiki, fire up a wiki client. If you
> want to use it as a to-do list, fire up a to-do client. Each could impose
> its own rules about formatting and the visibility of discussion without
> having to care about storage or communication media at all.

Oh yes.  I think the protocol is probably powerful enough to support
different app types.  I'm pretty sure that google docs will eventually
be a wave app.  Maybe even gmail too (under the hood) - I actually
want my wave account and gmail account linked, so that I can
collaborate in wave on something and then press a button to send it
out into the non-wave enabled world via email.

Muz