[LRUG] Analogue Blog roundup: Nov '09

Tom Stuart tom at experthuman.com
Thu Nov 12 02:33:08 PST 2009

On 12 Nov 2009, at 10:25, Anthony Green wrote:
> There was also a quick fire discussion at the end regarding RubyGems.

I failed to ask two point five questions:

1. Is anyone using Yehuda's new gem bundler? To what extent does this solve any of the problems mentioned?

2. Am I the only one who is fundamentally repelled by the idea of system-wide package installation in the first place? The RVM and/or bundler approaches seem an order of magnitude more sane to me (approximately "vendoring FTW"), although there's a limit to how many different simultaneous ad-hoc systems I can comfortably use to manage per-project dependencies. Maybe in two years' time we'll all be running every separate project in its own virtualised OS image anyway and this point will become moot.

Cheers,
-Tom