[LRUG] Migrating SQLlite to MySQL

Glenn @ Ruby Pond Ltd glenn at rubypond.com
Mon Nov 16 04:52:42 PST 2009

> I would now like to use a MySQL database, as is typical for most Rails
> webapps, but I want the changeover to be seamless, I don't want to lose any
> data or connections.
> Can anyone point me in the direction of the best practice for this kind of
> migration?

I wont claim this is best practice, but whenever a production
environment db doesn't match what I use locally for dev (postgres)
I've got a cap/rake task that pulls down the data and loads it using
yaml_db:

http://github.com/adamwiggins/yaml_db

Not great if you've got loads of data on production, but handy when
trying to debug problems. May suit your needs too.

Glenn
--
Ruby Pond Ltd
7 Clarence Pde, Cheltenham, GL5 03NY