[LRUG] Reasons for Postgres (was: Migrating SQLlite to MySQL)

Riccardo Tacconi rtacconi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 00:43:00 PST 2009

I think that most people use MySql because is just the most famous. MySql is
quicker when using myisam but the performance goes down when using
referential integrity. Postgres is MIT, the license of MySql is not and you
have to pay if you want to distribuite it with your software.

>From the PHP London user group I heard that bad things happens when using
stored procedures and trigger on a MySql cluster, someone get data
corruption and the trigger (cluster wide) were not working.

I think that MySql as 'persistent layer' is ok, but if you want to use it in
an advanced way (trigger stored procedures, cluster), probably Postgres is a
better choice. Plus, *PL/pgSQL *it seems to me much more advanced. I did not
know about tsearch2, is very intresting, Oracle has a full text search too.

Tom: I do not like the word 'Windows' in option 3 :-). I would avoid to put
much logic into the database, it is coming back to the database-centric
design which is in contrast with DDD. I prefer to see the constraints all in
my model.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Jocke Selin <jocke at selincite.com> wrote:

> On 16 Nov 2009, at 17:58, Tom Morris wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 16:52, Sam Stokes <webstuff-lrug at samstokes.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >> Now that you've brought it up :)  Would you be able to list a few things
> >> that you like about Postgres, or even reasons to use Postgres over
> MySQL?
> >>
> >> I'm not looking for a flamewar (and certainly not intending to defend
> >> MySQL!) - I'm genuinely curious about Postgres.  It's something I've
> never
> >> got around to looking into - MySQL has always been "good enough", since
> I'm
> >> already familiar with it - but I'd like to have a reason to try Postgres
> on
> >> a new project.
> >>

> > I recently evaluated both Postgres and MySQL, and I found:

> > 4. Postgres has a slight speed disadvantage over MySQL in terms of
> > read performance - I'm told, I haven't actually tested it - but the
> > app I'm using has a small number of users who write and edit a *lot*.
>
> I seem to recall us doing quite a lot of research into speeding PostgreSQL
> up, and one of the things you can do is to put the PGSQL write-ahead onto a
> separate disk and a non-journalling FS... if memory serves. Obviously with
> optimised parameters for the hardware.
>
> /Jocke

Riccardo Tacconi
VIRTUELOGIC LIMITED