[LRUG] Reasons for Postgres

Christian Batchelor chris at batchelorassociates.co.uk
Tue Nov 17 05:59:41 PST 2009

I use Postgres for everything -- my Rails work and non-Rails work, and it has never let me down.
Have had problems with mySQL-based web sites in the past, unless you maintain your mySQL tables they will eventually fall over if you have a lot of data changing. With PostgreSQL you just switch on the auto-vacuum demon and takes care of it for you. I have also found the whole licensing issue for mySQL is also confusing. I sometimes access databases with both Rails and Java-based software and I wanted to use a database which has no licensing issues whatsoever.

Hadn't though of the possibility of writing triggers and database logic in Ruby ;-)

--
Christian