[LRUG] Computer Science / Mathematics book group

Darren Syzling dsyzling at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 14:45:36 PST 2009

2009/11/5 Tim Cowlishaw <tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk>:
> I'd assumed that a book might take more than one month, and that we could
> decide how many chapters to cover each month, then continue until finishing
> before picking a new book. However, it needn't be that formalised - perhaps
> if we have  a text to discuss, read as much of it as we each want to, then
> at each meeting decide by consensus whether to continue into another month
> or start something else, that could also work too... James's idea might also
> be useful here, if we've got a queue of books ready, then those who read
> quickly can progress on to the next one and offer those who need more time a
> bit of a preview of what to expect.

I wonder if you'd seen the SICP study group which started a few months back:
http://groups.google.com/group/wizardbookstudy

Thought it might be interesting to read the group and the study
schedule they were following for ideas. Also with SICP there appears
to be great value in completing the exercises. As you mentioned not
achievable within a month. Although I dare say that the structure of
the reading and discussion schedule would depend on the material.

--
Darren