[LRUG] Suburban widow seeks RoR developer to fill my holes

Kevin Monk kevin at mangoswiss.com
Fri Nov 20 09:14:24 PST 2009

Hello LRUGers!

Greetings from the dusty suburbs of Crystal Palace. I run a small web
development company based out here in the suburbs-ish. I'm feeling a
little widowed here away from the cosy hub of Clerkenwell and the Big
City so I wanted to stick out a couple of feelers. We have a few big
RoR projects running at the moment and we've got a couple of
maintenance contracts that we want to set up with our clients. The
issue that I'm having is that I'm the only RoR developer in the
company and occasionally I need a holiday! Like next year when I'll be
merrily skipping off on a honeymoon for three weeks. This is great but
it does leave my maintenance contracts with a wacking great big hole
in the service provision.

So I've got a couple of questions:

A) Are there any capable freelance RoR developers out there who are
willing to negotiate a fee for covering those periods when I'm on
holiday? I've got to stress that the likelihood of you being 'called
out' is pretty negligible and I think we could probably discuss an
additional fee for any subsequent work should  a problem arise. The
two projects that I'm thinking of have been running for about 6 months
now and neither have 'gone critical', for want of a better term, in
that period. One of them is actually an intranet application that sits
on a laptop in an NHS trust so it would involve actually going to the
trust and fixing on site if needed. The other project that I'm
thinking of is for a company where they use the application all day
and every day, and it's quite a core part of their business.

B) Can anyone suggest another way round this? It has occurred to me
that I could just not worry about it. Give my clients some warning
that they'll be a gap in my ability to maintain their projects and GO!

and finally,
C) Is there anybody based in South/South East London who's in a
similar set up to me who might want to meet up and discuss the idea of
forming some sort of partnership/working relationship? I've got a lot
of good RoR projects running and to be honest I'm struggling to keep
up so there could be some good work in it for all.

Regards,

The Suburban Widow or "That bloke who works in that shed up on the hill"
Kevin Monk

We have moved! Please note our new address below.

Mango Swiss Ltd
Westow Hill Studios
45 Westow Hill
Upper Norwood