[LRUG] Contact Work and setting limits

Simon Sebright simonsebright at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 29 08:28:42 PDT 2009

Hi Rob,

I second the idea of the backlog.  Make a clear itemised list of what you
are going to do, and most important, put it in priority order, agreed with
the client.  Ideally group them into deliverable chunks which make sense
together.

As soon as a new requirement comes up, the transparency is there, it has to
go into the backlog and it has to be given a priority ranking in there.

It's in the nature of software development to discover the unexpected - one
would hope that a company which has a software asset understands this.  Most
individuals are probably going to understand when the car mechanic rings up
and says, "We quoted you for new brake pads, but you need disks all round".
They might be unhappy about paying, but will probably go with it.  We need
to make sure that it's the same for us.

Simon