[LRUG] Contact Work and setting limits

toby privett tobyprivett at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 09:07:51 PDT 2009

> On 29 Oct 2009, at 15:04, Rob Lacey wrote:
>
>  I initially quoted 13 days to make ammendments to their existing Rails
>> application, and through the process this has stretched to about 32 days
>> work. So I badly misjudged the length of the project, primarily because I
>> hadn't realised how broken their app was and how crazy some of the code was
>> (to me at least), along with requirements creeping in that I should maybe
>> have said no to, and problems post re-launch which may have been there all
>> along but have reared their ugly head only now.

I feel your pain. Strongly suggest that you discuss it with the client. As
others have said.

Fixed price estimates can be horrible things, particularly when there are
significant unknowns. e.g. a codebase written by someone who hasn't stuck
around to finish the job.

On the positive side, a small kick-off job with a new client can lead to
ongoing work that you bill for hourly / daily.

And always over budget on the number of hours / days, with the possibility
of delivering in less time and billing the client less (more brownie
points).