[LRUG] Contact Work and setting limits

Rob Lacey contact at robl.me
Thu Oct 29 15:47:58 PDT 2009

Wow, I didn't expect that much response and for some very helpful
comments. Unfortunately the whole project was a fixed price because it
was for an educational institution with very strict budgets which went
through an agency, another company who has a relationship with the
institution. I hold my hands up totally and say I was too confident on
my estimate, and almost everything that could go wrong did go wrong. I
should have doubled the estimate for sure, 2.5 times would have me paid up.

I also didn't keep track of the little changes here and there, I guess
it feels a but petty to single out the small changes, tweaks and
ammendments but those small changes that *must* be complete to deem the
project complete add up and become a whole new section of work in itself
that I didn't quote for. I find it difficult to say no when of course I
share a common the goal with the client, I want them to be happy and I
want the project to be a success. So I should be stricter.

I needed a clear backlog, broken down into parts as small a parts as we
needed to define the scope of it. I have taken the Certified ScrumMaster
course and also have worked in a team using Scrum for over a year, but
when it came to a small project with seemingly small scope I
underestimated the need for it and it would have been a great help and
it would have been useful to have a clearly defined set of requirements
myself and the client could wrangle over.

Next project I'll be stricter, for sure.

Cheers

RobL