[LRUG] Rails in the wonderful, wonderful Cloud

Jeremy Jarvis jeremy at brightbox.co.uk
Thu Oct 1 11:06:24 PDT 2009

Paul,
Sorry to hear you're unhappy, although I would (obviously) challenge
your claim of "fairly unreliable" :)

If you mean the SAN crash on Friday, that was caused by faulty
hardware. There was no loss of data (nor has there ever been) and the
faulty part was promptly replaced from our spares inventory. To put
this in perspective, we have 6 such SAN devices in production right
now and many Brightbox customers build apps to tolerate failure of any
particular device (however rare) using our load balancing service etc.
Alternatively, we can build highly available clusters for customers
and provide full management.

We don't provide an SLA at the moment but are working on it (most SLAs
are pretty pointless if you've ever read them).

Thanks,
Jeremy

--
Brightbox