[LRUG] Contact Work and setting limits

Vahagn Hayrapetyan vahagnh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 08:18:18 PDT 2009

Hi Rob,-

having been in a similar situation here's my perspective:

1) Communicating clearly the scope of the problem is the client's
responsibility. On the other hand, it is your responsibility to inquire the
scope in-depth. If you stretched the time limit because of they were bad at
adequately communicating scope to you, in my opinion you should require full
payment for the extra work. If on the other hand the miscalculation is
largely on your part, a discount to the client from your side would be
appropriate.

2) How to deal with estimations is the really tricky part. For myself, I
have decided that next time I will try to solve the problem in (really)
small chunks. At every step / completion of each chunk the client has the
option to terminate the relationship with me. So once it becomes apparent
that the project is going to stretch, a mutual decision will be made as to
whether to proceed or not. This I guess is a defensive application of the
Agile philosophy.

Best of luck,
Vahagn