[LRUG] The codes

Daniel Barlow dan at telent.net
Tue Sep 15 13:47:48 PDT 2009

Brent Snook wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> First off, thanks to everyone who organised last night. It was really
> valuable and a lot of fun. I was on the pirate team. Yaaaar. Rum. etc.

What he says.

I had to take off early to meet some other people that night, then I
promptly had a work crisis the following day so this is the first chance
I've had to set my thoughts down.  I hung this reply on Brent's just so
that it sits somewhere in the thread, but it's not specifically in
response to him.

A few general observations, as a Ruby newbie who tends to prefer "think
hard about the problem" to "write something that satisfies the tests" as
a general approach.  Heresy, yes.

1) I was suitably aghast when we decided to pass the first test by
spitting out a hard-coded string.  I would have started by defining a
grid structure of some kind and writing code to print that, on the
grounds that it was plain as the nose on your face that it would be
required for the general solution and YAGNI (or what the Extreme
Programming guys used to call YAGNI, I haven't really kept up with
terminology since then) clearly didn't apply.  *But* then we spent the
first five minutes even trying to get that to pass and fixed important
problems like "there is a space in this directory name" that would have
taken much longer to spot if we'd gone for anything more complicated
than the semantic equivalent of "hello world".  So, maybe it *was* a
good thing we did it that way around.

 > Something that seemed really hard to manage was communication between
 > the peanut gallery (awesome term) and the pair. Like Taryn mentioned,
 > everyone calling things out can be really distracting when you're the
 > one under the spotlight.

2) I noticed this from the other side, so to speak.  Some kind of
protocol seems like it would help (later suggestions about empty chairs
and suchlike all sound like they're worth trying) but from where I was
in the gallery I was seeing people make suggestions more or less
audibly, not have them picked up on, and then start side discussions.
Side discussions (e.g "what's the difference between 'do ... end' and
curlies for block structure") were interesting and informative in their
own right for those of us in range, but I couldn't help feeling we were
derelict in our duty of doing whatever our duty was w.r.t. the active
pair by not paying attention.  Some ground rules in the initial intro
(and I think those rules could probably be more or less arbitrary as
long as they were communicated clearly) would enhance the experience for
those of us not sure if we were stepping on toes or even if we were
expected to step on toes.

3) <flamebait type="unintentional">I think we were nearly 30 minutes in
before someone decided to break out irb and type things into it
interactively.  Maybe I'm just a crusty old Lisp programmer, but
honestly, that's where I'd have started.  Is the scaffolding-first
tendency in Ruby due to the influence of Rails (which seems to be
entirely composed of scripts that generate fill-in-the-blanks
scaffolding) or do Ruby practitioners in general not get much out of an
interactive evaluator, or were we looking at fairly inexperienced pairs
for our first few slots?  Maybe that's an over-beer discussion rather
than a list discussion </flamebait>

4) Shared structure in our array of arrays, ow.  I heard about this
afterwards (as I said, I missed the debrief) and am kicking myself for
not having noticed at the time.

> One thing I don't understand is how the entire team is supposed to
> work together to solve the problem - do you try and act like a huge
> gestalt entity or is investigating in parallel OK?
[...]
 > If it is OK to be approaching the problem in parallel then it would be
 > great to be able to try stuff out on your own laptop and then bring
 > the learnings into the pair when it is your chance to go up. A few
 > times I found it frustrating because I could only see the code that
 > the pair had open; I wanted some way to look at the other parts of
 > what they were working on.

5) Is ... yes.  I think that if you're not going to allow independent
discovery by the peanuts, the onus is on a member of the active pair to
be much more vocal about what they're doing - treat it almost like a
presentation to a small group, rather than ordinary pair programming
that people happen to be watching.

Thought-provoking stuff anyway, and I'm sorry I couldn't stay for the
end.  Thanks again to the make-it-happeners.

What's on next month?

-dan