[LRUG] The October meeting, what to do?

Brent Snook brent at fuglylogic.com
Wed Sep 16 10:29:03 PDT 2009

2009/9/16 Murray Steele <murray.steele at gmail.com>:

> Unless anyone has any sparkling ideas for non-talk based evenings, I suggest
> we revert back to our normal 2 or 3 talks format.  So, anyone got anything
> they'd like to talk about?  If you've never talked at LRUG before there are
> some tips here: http://lrug.org/speaking/tips (even if you have, the tips
> are still useful).

I wouldn't mind nabbing a 25 minute slot to give some quick demos of a
trio of gems I've been working on:

- baldrick - used for gluing stuff together; can be used to monitor
RSS among other things
- numerouno - English natural language parser for numbers ('seventy
seven'.as_number == 77)
- bumps - used to pull in Cucumber features from another source and
also push the results of a run

Check it out on github if you're interested: http://github.com/brentsnook

Also, an idea for a future meeting is to run an "Iron Hacks" night.
This is basically like Iron Chef; there is a theme ingredient,
everyone gets about an hour to hack something out (pre-prep is
allowed), stuff is demoed and the top voted are awarded a prize. We
tried this at the Melbourne Ruby group with the bonjour gems as the
theme ingredient and it was pretty fun.

Cheers,

Brent.