[LRUG] The October meeting, what to do?

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 08:50:11 PDT 2009

2009/9/18 Tim Cowlishaw <tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk>

> On 18 Sep 2009, at 14:20, Tom Stuart wrote:
>

>> During the dojo I was surprised by how many people (both Ruby newbies and
>> "Rails not Ruby" programmers) were asking questions about Enumerable, e.g.
>> what map/inject/zip etc do. I'd be happy to give a quick talk about this,
>> ideally as the thin end of a larger wedge-shaped rant about programming in a
>> functional style, if the demand is there.
>>

> Yes please! I've been learning haskell recently and am amazed at how much
> of my Ruby code seems to become quite 'Haskellish' as a result - lots of
> manipulation of lists rather than procedural style, which to me seems
> infinitely more readable but many Ruby devs seem to disagree :-)

Sounds interesting to me.  I'm also surprised when people only seem to look
as far as #each or maybe #map.  Even though I covered functional stuff at
uni and did a lot of functional style Python before hitting Ruby I'm sure I
could do with a refresher (doubly so if you wanted to cover the new bits in
1.9 as well).

Anyone else think it'd be good?

Muz