[LRUG] requiring one rails environment from another

Tim Cowlishaw tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 09:07:44 PDT 2010

Hey there chaps,

I'm in the middle of setting up a CI server for our office and have run into what seems like a slight gotcha.

Basically, i need to set up a seperate rails environment called something like "CI", so that the CI server can have its own mysql credentials, rather than requiring all users to user the same. So, i set this up in database.yml, and create a ci.rb file in config/environments that contains only a "require File.dirname(__FILE__)+ '/test.rb'" to load in the regular test environment. However, as the code in the required file isn't evaled in the same context as where the 'require' happens - it fails with "undefined local variable or method `config' for main:Object" on the line "config.cache_classes = true", the first line in the required 'test.rb'.

Clearly I'm going about this the wrong way - has anyone else any bright ideas about allowing two distinct environments to share configuration, without resorting to putting it all in environment.rb?

Cheers,

Tim