[LRUG] Spring reading list

Roland Swingler roland.swingler at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 01:25:20 PDT 2010

Talking of SICP any news of the next compsci book meetup - Tim?

One good book that isn't on the usual lists is Release it! by by
Michael T. Nygard (http://www.pragprog.com/titles/mnee/release-it).
Very practical, encourages you to think more about the environment
your software will eventually end up, has some amusing war stories.

A completely different, 'non-practical' book is The Little Schemer
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/BTLS/ which is interesting mainly
because of the writing style (the whole book is like a Socratic
dialogue). Like most books that teach scheme, it isn't really about
scheme, but about computation - It will also teach you what the Y
Combinator is.

Both are quite short - you could get through them in a weekend or so.

HTH
Roland