[LRUG] Profanity filtering

Jay Caines-Gooby jay at gooby.org
Thu Apr 29 05:36:02 PDT 2010

On 29 April 2010 13:08, Matt Patterson <matt-lists at reprocessed.org> wrote:
> Joy of joys, a project I'm working needs some degree of profanity filtering.
>
> I initially plumped for Fu-fu [1], but I've now hit on its shortcomings, and I was wondering
> what plugins and/or APIs/services people use for this, since I've never had to do this before
> and am therefore bumbling about the place.

I used name nanny http://www.railslodge.com/plugins/924-name-nanny a
long time ago, but I think any dictionary-driven system is prone to
the problem that your users will always be more inventive than your
dictionary. For every bollocks you block, there'll be a bo11ox or a
8o110x etc. I guess combined with a "flag as offensive" option that
updates the dictionary is a poor half way house...

--
Jay Caines-Gooby
http://jay.gooby.org
jay at gooby.org