[LRUG] Project available for the right developer(s)

James Adam james at lazyatom.com
Thu Aug 5 09:31:59 PDT 2010

Hello LRUG,

Due to a surplus of work and a deficit of time here at Free Range HQ,
we are looking for experienced Ruby developers to hand over
development of one of our projects, a novel game you play using your
Oyster card as you travel around the city.

You should be able to hit the ground running, so you'll need to be
very familiar with Ruby and Rails, and be able to demonstrate this to
us. We'll be performing a significant handover to help get you up to
speed, but you'll need to be engaged and ready to take ownership of
the codebase.

The application runs again Ruby 1.8.7 and Rails 2.3.8. The application
is about 11kloc, with a test:code ratio of 2:1, so you'll want to be
very comfortable with test driven development, at both unit and
integration levels. The views are written in HAML, and the tests are
written with Shoulda and Webrat. Other notable libraries used by the
application include Bundler, Timecop, Factory Girl, Authlogic and
Hpricot. Familiarity with these is a definite bonus.

The site is deployed using Capistrano, against MySQL, Apache &
Passenger, and Amazon EC2 so any experience of these platforms is a
bonus.

The client is great, and we've been working using Pivotal Tracker to
plan and prioritise functionality. You'll need to be able to work with
the client to define and refine their goals - since this project is
heavily data-driven, you'll have significant opportunity to influence
its direction.

This is not your average "build me a CMS with a store bolted on"
project, and we're sad to part ways, but as long as we can give it a
good home, we'll be happy.

If you are interested (you should be) and available in or around mid
August (we hope you are), please get in touch with me *directly*
(don't reply to the list!), and we'll take things further.

Cheers,

- James Adam
Free Range