[LRUG] starting rails

Jon Wood jon at blankpad.net
Tue Aug 17 13:53:51 PDT 2010

At this point I would start with Rails 3. Agile Web Development with Rails
is usually considered the definitive book on the subject, and the latest
edition covers Rails 3.

As for working experience, that can be a problem in most industries, but
working with Ruby or Python you have they'd advantage of a community that
recognizes the value of open source. A lot of employers will accept
contributions to open source projects as working experience, especially if
you can show you've worked with others to develop things.

You're unlikely to walk straight into your dream job, but there are plenty
of jobs for people who can show passion, and a talent for building software.

Jon

On 17 Aug 2010 21:42, "Mateus" <mcavanholi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys, I was planing to attend to the last meeting, but unfortunately I
> was unable to go.
>
> For some time I was studying it, (ok, from time to time I restart to study
> again), and now I wonder where should I focus?
> Should I pick-up from rails 3? or 2.x was a better place to start. And
> again, it's better to learn the hard way or beginning with scaffolding is
> just fine?
>
> P.S.: This wasn't my intention when I started this email, but, since I'm
> here..
> I found very difficult to find a place to really work with rails (and also
> python which I know somethings as well), even when I see and listen all
the
> time: "learn ruby, rails or python. that is plenty of place for people who
> want to work with this technologies".
> But all the time, I was asked for previous working experience, which I
don't
> have. To make matters worst for me, I stopped my course of Computer
Science