[LRUG] Who wants my "special" gratitude in September?

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 06:45:58 PDT 2010

On 23 August 2010 12:26, Priit Tamboom <priit at mx.ee> wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> On 23 August 2010 11:35, Murray Steele <murray.steele at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > The September meeting is approaching, it'll be on Monday 13th in the
> usual
> > place.  I've been working on my github scraper/volunteerizer
> > (http://github.com/h-lame/amazing-automatic-volunteer-a-tron if you want
> > look / help out) but alas, I'm not sure how useful it is.  The output is
> > giant list of repos for me to trawl through which seems quite daunting
> and
> > also puts too much curatorial emphasis on my role, as I'd probably just
> pick
> > things to chase up that I thought were interesting, which is not
> something
> > I'm keen on, it's our group, not mine.  So, while I rethink the scraper,
> I'm
> > back to begging for talks.
> > Has anyone got anything for September?   You don't need to talk for very
> > long, or be particularly "expert" in your topic; you could use this as an
> > opportunity to explain a problem you're having and get some wisdom from
> the
> > crowd in solving it.  It needn't even be a traditional "get up and preach
> > for a bit" style thing, I'm all for running alternative style meetings.
> > Ideas?
> > Muz
>
> I wonder what the volunteer-a-tron did suggest for next meeting :-).

Wonder no more:
http://assets.lrug.org/volunteer-a-tron/output-2010-08-23.txt

You can see why I think I have to come up with a better metric for this.
 Mostly there's the fact that not all of those repos are ruby, primarily
because getting the language info for a repo is a separate API call and you
are limited to 60 per hour, and this thing already takes a couple of hours
to run.  I should probably add that though.

> Anyhow, last ruby meeting [1] in Barcelona I suggested to talk about
> upcoming Rails 3 internals. I have played, used and studied the new
> shiny thing during the summer with ruby 1.9.2 but it would be nice to
> talk a bit more about such things as initialization, Railtie, Engine,
> Application classes etc.
>
> Anyhow, I wonder if people would be interested about this topic or
> perhaps it's already a bit boring to talk about Rails itself :-)

I'm sure other people would appreciate this sort of thing.  I'm sure we're
all poking at Rails 3 (or getting ready to) so this could be quite timely.
 Anyone else?  Is there anything in particular you'd like Priit to cover
about Rails 3 internals?

Cheers,