[LRUG] Sustainable design practice looking for Rails devs

Tom ten Thij mail at tomtenthij.nl
Tue Feb 2 09:23:47 PST 2010

Somebody I have had good experiences working together with has asked
me to forward the job description for a Rails developer position at a
new startup he is spinning up with a friend.

It can be found below.

Cheers, Tom.
---

Ruby Developer

More Associates is a ground-breaking sustainable design practice based
in Central London. We work with corporations, governments and NGOs,
using design, technology and user-centred research to address the most
exciting social and environmental challenges of our time.

You are an experienced web developer who loves building rich,
compelling web applications that make the most of web technologies.
You have excellent Ruby skills, are strong in back-end web
development, and have substantial experience using Django OR Rails in
a production environment. Ideally, you are equally strong in
client-side technologies, and you know your box model hacks and image
replacement techniques.

You believe in documentation, test-driven development and are happy
using collaboration tools such as SVN and GIT, and running and
deploying against release schedules. You are comfortable with the
user-centred design approach and feel that the end users of your work
are the most important drivers in the development process. You are
technically agnostic, and open standards will normally be your first
choice. You enjoy working on open-source projects and like to get
involved in them wherever you can. You relish being a key part of a
committed, fast growing team.

Ideally, like us you are passionate about creating social and
environmental benefit through your work. If we only have ten years to
save the world, then you agree with us that it should be done with
efficient, elegant and maintainable code.

Technology plays a key role in all More's work, which ranges from
modern user-centred web applications and interactive public displays
to policy innovation, research and strategic consultancy.

You see programming as an art as well as a science and enjoy using
your creativity to solve a wide variety of interesting problems. You
relish getting involved at every level of development, from designing
system architecture and database structures to building it and helping
designers understand the technical challenges and possibilities. You
are not looking for shortcuts to build a site, but instead value the
rewards that come from the extra effort you put in.

You have an extremely strong grasp of the following:
* Ruby
* Rails
* Database design and maintenance
* (X)HTML
* CSS
* Javascript
* SVN/ GIT
* The command line
* Linux
* Server admin
* Agile and scrum methodologies

Your responsibilities will include:
* Back-end programming
* Linux system administration
* Building web sites
* Maintaining web sites
* Participating in design process
* Creating templates

Additionally the following would be an advantage:
* Actionscript
* Python application development
* Embedded development and PIC programming
* Graphics generation using Photoshop, Illustrator, GIMP and PIL

If you are this person please send an email with your CV to
work at moreassociates.com

Thanks!