[LRUG] Cucumber and RSpec on Rails

Paul Campbell paul at rslw.com
Mon Feb 8 11:57:37 PST 2010

Jordi,

cucumber can (and will, if you want) cover 90% of the cases.

Sometimes you might want to drop down to controller testing for edge
cases or redirects to  external services and things.

Mostly though, my controller specs remain empty.

Model specs are much more frequent though, for testing things like
arithmetic, maybe validations, auto-assignment, data transformations
etc.

Hope this helps,

—Paul

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Jordi Noguera Leon
<jordinoguera83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
> I'm starting with Cucumber but I'm not sure if/when/how to create specs. In
> the couple of Railscasts I'seen so far, the guy generates rspec_models and
> rspec_controllers, but he doesn't code anything inside them... In another
> screencast I've seen, the guy validates uniqueness of some stuff inside the
> spec, but I guess that's something you could do using a  scenario, right?
> Basically, do I need to write any spec or I can do all the stuff in the
> scenario?
> Regards,
> Jordi

Paul Campbell