[LRUG] More showing off

Scott Chacon schacon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 08:36:57 PST 2010

Hey,

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 7:27 AM, Roland Swingler
<roland.swingler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Was curious as to why it required Sinatra rather than just static html
> - surely all the magic is in javascript and css on the front end?
>
> Roland

The real reason is that eventually, I want this software to be
dynamic.  Right now it sort of is in that you can change the markdown
sources and then just hit 'r' on the presentation to dynamically
reload the slides, where if it was a static generated file, you would
have to regen it manually via some jekyll like command line.

However, the real reason it's server based is that the next stage will
be allowing the audience participate in the presentation interactively
(assuming you're on the same LAN as the audience) - download materials
from the server, ask questions or add comments to sections so the
presenter can scan them rather than do a less efficient Q/A time, have
the audience vote on sections they want to see before-hand, etc.
That's my vision for the software - I do a lot of presentations and
wanted something specific to the type of presentation I give and would
really like to give.  Turns out Keynote is not extensible and a few
days of work gave me software that can do everything I use Keynote
for, plus be a Sinatra app so I can do whatever I want with it :)

Thanks for doing the presentation, Joel, I hope you find it useful
software.  Hopefully I'll see some of you LRUGers again at the
Scottish Ruby Conf!

Scott