[LRUG] Multiple databases, migration, integration...

David Salgado david at digitalronin.com
Fri Jan 8 04:13:27 PST 2010

> I am still not understanding how you manage your migrations. How do you 'I
> just make sure all
> migrations happen from within the Rails codebase'? Is there a way to exclude
> legacy tables from a Rails environment?

No, I just don't consider them to be 'legacy' tables. I just treat
them in exactly the same way as any other table in a rails app.

I have a git project for the rails app. and a git project for the PHP
app. Both use the same database. I only ever allow migrations in the
rails app., even if the migration is for something in the PHP app.
That way, the schema_migrations records in the rails app. are always
consistent, and I don't have to worry about managing migrations that
could have happened from PHP-land as well, which would be a nightmare.

David