[LRUG] Tonight's meeting

Daniel Barlow dan at telent.net
Wed Jan 13 07:39:19 PST 2010

Murray Steele wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're a speaker down for this evening as Julian Burgess is unable to
> make it into London due to the snow.  We'll reschedule his talk for
> some time later in the year.  Anyone feel up to filling his shoes?
> Obviously at this point anything goes and we'll be hugely grateful to
> anyone who steps up, no matter how underprepared they feel.

Not a talk as such, but an idea I had the other day: I'm learning Ruby
at the moment primarily using the v2 Pickaxe, plus reading this list and
comp.lang.ruby.  While I don't anticipate the language itself has
changed so much since the Pickaxe came out, I do recognise that the
libraries/gems/what-have-you have moved on, to the extent that some
libraries it recommends have effectively been superseded.

For example, anyone asking questions about REXML is (in my observation,
at least) likely to be met with "have you tried Nokogiri instead", and
likewise anyone starting their project in Webrick users will (I think)
quite likely be pointed at Mongrel.  Question for the meeting (or for
the list, if you prefer, or both) - what other parts of the pickaxe have
suffered the same fate?  SOAP?  Erb?  Calling native code?   Perhaps we
could create a list.

Yes, Test::Unit -> Rspec is one contender, though I'm not sure that's
established quite universally, yet.

I'm asking because I want the answers, not because I know them - over to
you...

-dan