[LRUG] Diffing Strings

Andrew Stewart boss at airbladesoftware.com
Thu Jun 24 02:23:28 PDT 2010

On 24 Jun 2010, at 06:50, Eugene Bolshakov wrote:
> which mentions this tool
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-diff-match-patch/

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for the pointer -- that looks like a good diff algorithm.  It's for plain text though.

I think my problem stems from trying to diff two strings of HTML.  htmldiff spends all its time wrestling with the tags; the diff part is quick.

So I'm trying to convince my client to ditch the WYSIWYG editing he holds so dear, which sends HTML back to the database, and go with plain text -- which I'll be able to diff properly and quickly.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply.

Regards,

Andy Stewart
-------