[LRUG] Solr or Sphinx

Rob Watson rfwatson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 02:44:11 PST 2010

Hi Riccardo,

I'm not too familiar with Solr, but we @Touchlocal have recently
re-engineered our search system using Sphinx.

We have around 2.5million rows indexed, and a distributed server setup using
four separate boxes and the index sharded between them. Performance has thus
far proven to be good, typical queries in the 200-300ms region, and there is
still room to make improvement on the structure of the index.

There is also a good Ruby/Rails client, ThinkingSphinx, plenty of query
options and some decent geo-searching capability. Check out the doc:
http://www.sphinxsearch.com/docs/current.html

R.