[LRUG] Estimates and productivity

steven shingler shingler at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 08:48:48 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I've got a question about estimates and productivity.

At Wordtracker, we've been really consistent with our estimates in the last
few months, planning ~12 ideal days in each fortnightly iteration, and
delivering on that with a team of 5.

I feel we're very productive, but I've little idea whether that's a typical
ratio of ideals to man days. I'm wondering what other teams achieve. Does
anyone have any similar data which they would be happy to share?

I realise that different teams are going to work at a different paces. The
number of ideals matters much less than the number of £££ delivered to the
business, but that's more difficult to measure empirically. I also know that
some teams prefer to work in story points, rather than ideals.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
Steven
Steven Shingler