[LRUG] Estimates and productivity

John Hornbaker john at billmonitor.com
Mon Oct 4 09:05:27 PDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:48 AM, steven shingler <shingler at gmail.com> wrote:

> I realise that different teams are going to work at a different paces. The
> number of ideals matters much less than the number of £££ delivered to the
> business, but that's more difficult to measure empirically. I also know that
> some teams prefer to work in story points, rather than ideals.

I think you've implicitly answered your own question, Steven.

You can't meaningfully compare estimates across teams from different
companies because you can't normalise the differences. There are
simply too many variables.

Even within the same company, you can't compare team velocity across
multiple teams--though execs *always* try to do such things, speaking
from personal experience in running Agile adoption and coaching
projects.

It's a great accomplishment that your team has achieved consistency
and (I presume) predictable delivery of value to your customers and
your business. That's a strong sign of team maturity and more than
many can claim.

Cheers,
John

--