[LRUG] Claranet at looking for a full time RoR developer

Tim Benest thb at taskforce.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 05:08:34 PDT 2010

Could not agree more, in my 25 years experience of programming and running
software companies, I never use recruitment agencies. The whole must have a
degree thing, to a certain extent is non-sensical. Looking at
someones experience and getting them to write some code at interview, is a
much better indicator. This is why I find open source such a good thing as
anyone with and interest in what they are going and a good brain can get the
required experience.

I only have 6 'O' Levels (Showing my age now), yet I have had to supervise
guys trying to get there Doctorate's in Computer Science, who could not
write merchandisable code for toffee.

/T

On 23 September 2010 12:33, Anthony Green <Anthony.Green at bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> Cookie cutting recruitment process ?
>
> I'm seeing job specs getting increasing nonsensical as ruby adoption grows.
>
> On 23/09/2010 12:29, "Rob Lacey" <contact at robl.me> wrote:
>
> > I do wonder why an awful lot of jobs require degrees in Computer
> > Science or related fields, before even getting your foot in the door.
> > I worked in ISP and Web Development for 12 years and I studied Music
> > Technology, and I've worked with extremely capable people who didn't
> > even go to university. So it doesn't really seem to matter.
> >
> > RobL
>
> --
> Anthony Green
> BBC Ruby Group
>

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/
> Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance
> on it and notify the sender immediately.

Regards
Tim Benest
Taskforce Systems Ltd