[LRUG] Claranet at looking for a full time RoR developer

Anthony Green Anthony.Green at bbc.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 05:53:48 PDT 2010

On 23/09/2010 13:29, "Tim Cowlishaw" <tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk> wrote:

> However, I have done approximately one year of undergraduate mathematics since
> then (thanks to the OU) and can say that hands down, it's been better for my
> software development ability than pretty much any other learning I've done, so
> in my opinion, formal mathematical training is definitely not without value
> for programmers

I've subscribed to the Berkeley CS podcast that follows the SICP  book, and
I agree it's definitely improved my understanding.

But what you're describing here highlights one of the 'real' qualities that
recruiters ought to be looking for. That of 'self-development'. The fact
you're pursuing a second degree and that you organise the SICP book club
would put you on any shortlist I drew up.

Chad Fowler's 'The Passionate Programmer' covers much of this same topic.

--
Anthony Green
BBC Ruby Group

http://www.bbc.co.uk/