[LRUG] Claranet at looking for a full time RoR developer

Olly Headey olly at freeagentcentral.com
Thu Sep 23 07:27:52 PDT 2010

> From: Rob Lacey <contact at robl.me>
> I do wonder why an awful lot of jobs require degrees in Computer
> Science or related fields, before even getting your foot in the door.
> I worked in ISP and Web Development for 12 years and I studied Music
> Technology, and I've worked with extremely capable people who didn't
> even go to university. So it doesn't really seem to matter.

I don't think a CS degree should be a pre-requisite -- I know some great
programmers who don't have a CS background too. You don't need to have
studied CS to have an aptitude for problem solving and lateral thinking.

I do think, however, if you _have_ studied CS then you've probably learned
things which you may never have had the opportunity to learn had you not
studied CS, things which might help you come up with a better solution to a
particularly challenging problem.  So it can *really* help you, I think, in
some more challenging scenarios.  But no, not a pre-requisite by any means.

Cheers,
Olly

---
Olly Headey
FreeAgent : Accounting software, simplified

FreeAgent has been nominated for Web App of the Year at the 2010 .net
awards.
Vote for us now at http://www.thenetawards.com

http://www.freeagentcentral.com
http://twitter.com/freeagent